Tofu scramble is an awesome staple of vegetarian cooking. There are probably 10,000 tofu scramble recipes out there. Here’s how I do it. The two tricks of tofu scramble are: (1) adding enough flavor; and (2) cooking for a long enough time.
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 16-ounce blocks of tofu (cut everything in 1/2 if you want to use just one block of tofu)
- vegetable/olive oil
- approximately 2/3 of a 10-ounce bag of spinach
- 1/4 cup tamari (to start)
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon Thai chili garlic paste
- garlic powder to taste
- lemon pepper to taste
- chives to taste
- nutritional yeast (optional — this is great in tofu scramble but we never have it)
- (Instead of using Thai chili garlic paste, garlic powder, lemon pepper, and chives, you can use pretty much anything: fresh garlic, cumin, and chili powder; rosemary and onion powder; the sky’s the limit.)
Slice or chop the onion. Remove tofu from packaging, squeeze out some water, and blot it with paper towels (you don’t have to be very thorough with this). Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat (you’ll be using the same medium-high heat the whole time you’re cooking this) for a minute or so. Add the onions. Throw in the two blocks of tofu. Using a spatula, break up the tofu into relatively uniform bite-sized chunks (these will get smaller later). Cook the onions and tofu, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. You’ll see excess liquid while you’re cooking, but don’t worry, it’ll go away.
After 15 minutes of cooking, start adding the fun stuff. Add tamari, chili garlic paste, garlic powder, lemon pepper, chives, and nutritional yeast if you have it. Stir. Taste. Add more of whatever you want. I added a little more tamari, garlic powder, lemon pepper, and chives this time. Add, mix, and taste until you get something you like. Cook for another 12 minutes. Add spinach and mix well. Cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat.
Serve over corn tortillas that have been warmed well on a gas burner if possible. Garnish with Sriracha. Enjoy!
Pictures after the cut.