Hey there! Hi! Oh wow, you look lovely today.
I have spent approximately 5 minutes on the internet since last week. Ben’s family (his mom and his sister and her husband and their 3 kids) were out here for the weekend and it was super awesome fun times. We did a lot of stuff — the kind of stuff we normally do, but this time with people who don’t live here, which makes it more fun than it would normally be. We went to Nicolo’s (twice in one week is insane) and the Botanic Gardens and Sweet Action (crunchy peanut butter) and City Park Jazz and we (Ben) made a delicious summery pasta dinner and there were crazy good times had in the pool and we rode bikes and it was the first time Soren met his cousins and just as awesome as you’d imagine it would be.
Also I’ve been all WOOOOOO! SUMMERTIME! (credit: Animals Talking in Allcaps) Being all WOOOOOO! SUMMERTIME! involves stuff like not being on the internet and eating as many meals outside as possible and making a WOOOOOO! SUMMERTIME! pizza when you planned to make arugula pesto but didn’t have all the required ingredients and figured you might as well try to make the pizza equivalent of that pasta, which goes something like this: my default crust, olive oil, a decent amount of salt (to make up for the fact that you have no parmesan cheese), a ton of arugula, fresh mozzarella, fresh oregano (always worth it — and I’m saying always the way you’d say it while wearing cutoffs and a shirt that makes you look vaguely like someone who once represented Brazil in the Olympics and possibly a hat and standing on someone’s front porch with an ice cold beer in your hand), and fresh little tomatoes of the variety named after fruit that you cut in half and apply to the pizza after baking because raw tomatoes are totally WOOOOOO! SUMMERTIME!
Anyway the point of this post is to assert that as a body in motion that wants to stay in motion, I’ve come up with a list of shit I want to do this summer. Please keep in mind that I acknowledge the absolute ridiculousness of some of the things on this list. “Try a new restaurant.” I mean, really. What’s the next item going to be, breathe? The thing is, we almost never go out to eat (unless it’s right after I gave up veganism and we have family in town and we get Nicolo’s twice in one week, of course) and when we do, we pretty much always go to City O City. So sadly, try a new restaurant is somewhat aspirational for us. Also these are all my ideas. I asked Ben if he had anything to add to our summer to-do list, which contains only fun things, and he was all, weed the yard, clean the garage, blah blah shut up mom and this was exceptionally rude in addition to being profoundly disappointing because I had seriously like 5 minutes before weeded the yard.
Enough of the blah blah blah. Here is the list. May your summertime be all WOOOOOO! SUMMERTIME! too.
- Visit a new Colorado town.
- Go to Nederland, hang out, ride the Carousel of Happiness, and have a beer.
- Try a new restaurant.
- Attend a non-MLB sporting event.
- Ombre my hair, or at least do something to it because it’s boring.
- Take a class. (Just a little class, maybe something to do with gardening or canning.)
- Make at least one skirt. (I bought a sewing machine maybe two years ago and it’s still in the box.)
- Go out to brunch. (Seriously, we never do this.)
- Hang out downtown and pretend to be tourists.
- Make at least 10 bracelets.
- Bring a picnic to the Botanic Gardens or a new park. Maybe bring music and have a miniature dance party.
- Break the peanut butter rut and make at least 3 new flavors of ice cream.
- Investigate new volunteer work I can do with Soren. (The tree stuff we do is awesome, but we could probably do more as long as it isn’t too emotionally draining, which means “as long as it doesn’t really involve animals.”)
- Go to the Butterfly Pavilion.
- Check out some local pools.
- Go to the library. Check out books. (I have an Amazon problem.)
- Tour de Fat! This is for real one of my favorite events of the year.
- Go camping at least once and make that insane campfire feta, if we can even have a campfire.
- Biannual date night! See MGMT. Consider possible substances?
- Biannual date day! Take a day off while Soren is at school and go hiking and then out for a beer.
- Consider going on dates more than four times a year. I think other parents do this more often.
- Infuse some liquor and drink it.
- Refuse to flake out on fireworks viewing.
- Possibly take up the ukulele. Campground singalong! (I am so close to becoming intolerable to be around. WOOOOOO! SUMMERTIME!)
- Play Gunshots or Fireworks.
- Go to Lakeside Amusement Park. (As one of the 3 people in the world who enjoy spinny rides and hate anything that drops, such as roller coasters, I am not a big amusement park person, but Lakeside has this awesome vintage vibe to it and I’m sure Soren is too little to go on anything I’d hate.)
- Enjoy cocktails at MCA. (We seriously never have cocktails.)
- Read a book I like as much as the one I just finished, which pretty much blew me away (A Visit from the Goon Squad, holy crap read this now).
- Start working on my novel, tentatively entitled Chicken in the Wind. It’s tentatively about a guy who washes out of major league baseball, does a lot of drugs, and becomes a hippie.