Until this weekend, I’d gone so long without making juice our juicer was all dusty and feeling like a forgotten small kitchen appliance. This is a bummer, especially because Soren loves juice and will drink just about anything. Usually I make him something involving oranges and/or tangerines, an apple, a pear, and a carrot. And I’ve finally perfected my favorite juice that’s good for winter. It goes like this:
- 4 tangerines (If you use really little ones, like those tiny little clementines, use 5 or 6)
- 1/2 of a Meyer lemon (or 1/4 of a regular lemon)
- 5 or 6 kale leaves, stems removed
- a nice big handful of cilantro, stems removed
- a few (3 or 4) ice cubes
- a little cold water (maybe 1/4 cup or so)
I like to run the tangerines and the lemon through the juicer, then add that juice to the Vitamix with the rest of the ingredients and blend on high until it’s all nice and smooth.
Bonus: Chickens love the leftover pulp and kale stems!